Friday, June 3

Friday Fiction: Sir Ebon and the Knights of the Night

Hello friends!! Welcome to another exciting episode of Fiction Friday!! Our host today is Rick (Hoomi) Higginson at his blog, Pod Tales and Ponderings. Are you pondering what a Pod Tale is? The best way to find out is to wander on over and dive in!

My "Writings" folder on my computer is cluttered with abandoned story-starts going to waste, so I thought, Why not post one for Fiction Friday? This start is one I want to end some day. The idea of a gallant knight and his fair lady leading a secret band of night-riders who save a kingdom from collapse and capture still intrigues me. 




**********


Sir Ebon and the Knights of the Night

The destiny of the kingdom weighed heavy upon Sir Ebon’s shoulders. The black stallion under him snorted and threw back its head, anxious to get on with the mission, but Ebon gave it no mind. His attention was riveted on his Destinee.

Princess Destinee, fair of face and delicate of countenance, but fierce and bold of spirit, was heir to the throne of Melidion. She spent her daylight hours at the feet of her father, the renowned King Alpheres, her nimble mind absorbing the knowledge and wisdom he imparted to his only child. Her nights were spent under the dark cloak of disguise, hastening to aid her lover and the future savior of the kingdom, Sir Ebon.

Fire flashed in Destinee’s emerald eyes as she quieted her own proud mount. “My love, how can I betray my father?”

“Tis not betrayal I ask of you, Precious. I ask you to side with right and let The One bring what justice is due.”

“But when siding with right would result in a knife in my father’s back, rendered by own his daughter’s hand, what then? How is that right?"

Ebon moved to reach out to her, but Destinee jerked the reigns and her mare obeyed by stepping a pace to the side. “Sorrow pierced Father’s soul and left a ragged hole in his heart when my mother was cut down by those marauders. I was just six years when Father made me his confidant. I filled the chasm in his heart and his life."

“Aye, King Alpheres groomed you to be Queen, there is no doubt.”

When Destinee was but six years old, King Alpheres witnessed, and was unable to stop, the murder of his love and lifemate, the mother of his child, Queen Raven of the Corbeau Valley.


© 2009

**********
 


Yep, that's all she wrote (for now, at least.) So, what do you think? Is this a novel (or long short story) you'd read? 

Be blessed,
Cat


Catrina Bradley
"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (Msg)


Fiction Friday is a weekly opportunity for writers to share their work and receive a smidgen of feedback. It's also a GREAT place for readers to peruse inspiring and encouraging fiction from up-and-coming new authors. If you're new, don't be shy! Visit Pod Tales and Ponderings and add a link or follow a link at the bottom Rick's story.