Thursday, July 16

Destiny (part 1): "When Destiny Calls" - Guest Blogger, Lisa Mikitarian


Please welcome Lisa Mikitarian back to my blog! Today she begins a short series that grabbed my attention and I had to share with you! I mean, who ISN'T curious about their destiny? Hmmm? Lisa humbly offered to shorten it, but I didn't want you to miss out on a single insightful word she shares about "Destiny".

----------


If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up some place else.
Yogi Berra

When Destiny Calls

By Lisa Mikitarian

Destiny called once, or so I thought. It was the summer of ’76, when I was 12 and in love with gymnastics and Nadia Comaneci. When I answered, Destiny assured me I would be in the 1980 Olympics alongside my role model. All I had to do was work out every single day and practice, practice, practice.

That’s what I and my developing pudginess did. We worked non-stop that summer, and mornings and evenings once school began. One year later, I had mastered the cartwheel and the round-off, but no flip-flop. On the balance beam, I learned the forward roll and the backward roll. Every once in a while I landed a cartwheel. On the horse I learned the side vault. On the uneven parallel bars I could pull my hips over the lower bar—if my biceps were fresh.

After two years of faithful work, my repertoire was almost the same. I began thinking that perhaps Destiny had misdialed while really trying to get a hold of Mary Lou Retton. Or maybe it was Density that had called and I shouldn’t have picked up. Either way, it was not my lot in life to be an Olympic gymnast (or a Wimbledon champion). That’s when questions poured in: What does Destiny mean anyway? What is my Destiny? How do I find it?

What does Destiny mean anyway?

Destiny is God’s plan for your life. It is different from fate, though the words are often used interchangeably, especially when we think in the negative.

I guess it’s just my destiny to be lonely.

It’s my fate to be poor.

But these words have distinct meanings. Fate is the supposed force or principle that predetermines events, meaning the events are beyond any control. This brings resignation. If I can’t change what’s going to happen, what’s the point in trying? This “fatalism” is part of Islam and Hinduism; it is NOT part of Christianity.

The true God of the universe created humans in His likeness and endowed us with free will to make moral choices. Adam and Eve made a choice in the garden. Because God is omniscient and not constrained by a human time-line, He knows what choices we will make. He works everything to His purposes to fulfill His plan.

The big difference between fate and destiny is that in the latter we are active participants with God in fulfilling His plans.

Can we thwart God’s plans by the choices we make even if they go directly against His will? No. He will not be thwarted. Evil exists, but God is sovereign. We will reap consequences of our actions, though.

Whoever sows injustice will reap calamity, and the rod of his fury will fail.” (Proverbs 22:8 ESV)

For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things. (Philippians 3:18-19 ESV)

Conversely, we reap the rewards of positive actions. Here are five possible crowns in heaven:

The imperishable crown for those who exhibit disciplined lives (1 Corinthians 9:25–27).

The crown of rejoicing for those who lead others to Christ (1 Thessalonians 2:19–20, Philippians 4:1).

The crown of righteousness for those who love his appearing (2 Timothy 4:8).

The crown of glory for those who faithfully shepherd the flock (1 Peter 5:2–4).

The crown of life for those who overcome spiritual battles (James 1:12, Revelation 2:10).

I’m not counting my crowns before they hatch, but that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t strive for them!


To be continued...



----------


Thank you Lisa!

So, what's MY destiny? Hmm. Maybe Lisa will tell us tomorrow.

See you then,
Cathy

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes."
Psalm 18:24 (Msg)