Wednesday, November 26

Set Free: If / Then

I know, it's been ages since I've posted a blog. I can't say I've been too busy, or I have I had nothing to write about, because neither of those are true. If I could figure myself out, I'd be a much wiser woman. If you figure me out, feel free to clue me in.

Anyway, I've fallen in love with an app on FaceBook - "Word of God". I just "unlocked" a few more "Words" and in looking at them just now, I was stabbed in the spirit by this one:

How many times have I read this verse? I couldn't tell you. But I can tell you I only just saw the truth of the words.

I know that context is extremely important when it comes to studying the Bible, but sometimes, pulling a verse out and reading it alone causes me to REALLY see it. Really read it. Really absorb it.

"IF you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.

THEN you will know the truth and the truth will set you free."


Ah, the classic "if/then" logic formula. The effect is dependent upon the cause. The result is dependent on an action.

I know God's love isn't conditional upon my actions. God IS love; he can no more NOT love me than I can NOT be a woman. It is who He is. I know His Grace isn't conditional upon my actions. That is His gift to all who believe and trust in Jesus Christ, His only Son. He willingly was tortured and executed in my place, to pay my debt.

However, my growth in Him IS conditional upon my actions. ONLY IF I hold to His teaching will I will become His disciple (learning, growing, knowing Him); ONLY THEN I will know the truth. And THEN I will be set free - free from guilt, free from worry, free to rest in Him.

Father, thank you for your Word, and for the places and people and circumstances you use to make the Truth of your Word evident to me. Thank you for being there for me every day, no matter if I am listening to You or ignoring you. I pray that I will become your devoted disciple, not swayed or blown to and fro by the winds of this world, but remain steadfast in walking on the path you set before me. Thank you for being my Light in this dark world.