Sunday, August 24

The Game of Distraction

We all know that the evil one (satan, the devil, lucifer, what ever name you choose to call that snake) is the father of lies. And for good reason. The deceptive game he's playing now with the people I love is the Game of Distraction. When he gets scared (because he KNOWS the power of Jesus and His followers who call on and trust in His Name) and he knows that he cannot defeat HIM, satan causes all sorts of problems with the intention of taking our eyes off the goal that Jesus has set before us.

My church is preparing to launch a capital campaign - our membership is growing and we need more room to make way for the expanding family of God. The closer we get to the kick-off date, the more kinks appear in the fabric our other ministries. I'm guilty along with the rest - I've been so worried and grieved by the problems (and not little problems by any means) that I have not focused my prayers on the campaign. I know that our membership needs to be in prayer for it, but suddenly there are so many other, IMMEDIATE, issues, REAL needs, to pray for that the campaign has fallen to the wayside. I don't mean to speak for everyone, but I have just realized tonight that this is the case with me, and I can't help but think that many others have fallen hook, line, and sinker into this trap as well.

Distractions. Yes, a tool of the devil that I have recognized tonight. I praise God, who brought this to my attention. I trust God, who assured me (even if I was only assured for a split second) that HE is in control. I THANK God for his faithfulness and his love and His mercy and His blessings.

Are satan's distractions taking you from something that God has set before you? Don't fall into the evil one's trap. Seek God's face and do not let the evil one distract you. Do not let worry overtake you. Romans 8:28 says (and I've witnessed its truth) "For we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." That includes those things that may seem to be contrary to OUR vision of His plan.

My eyes are ever on the Lord,
for only he will release my feet from the snare.
Psalm 25:15


For we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against the evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against those mighty powers of darkness who rule this world, and against wicked spirits in the heavenly realms. Ephesians 6:12