Monday, January 5

I've resolved to stop trying

I’ve made no effort to make resolutions this year. It’s not that I don’t need some improvement. I could stand to establish a few better habits, and I definitely need to lay some bad habits down. But what are resolutions, really, but my imperfect attempts, my carnal efforts, my self-guided decisions. It’s no wonder I’ve never been successful at following through on a single resolution.



Frankly, I’m tired of steering this ship.





This year, instead of setting my course for goals unreachable, I’ve prayed that God would steer me to where He plans on working in me next. My only resolution this year is to follow where He leads: to listen to His voice and obey Him.



In that amazing way He has, before 2008 even ended God impressed this upon me. He began to show me things about myself, and to turn my heart toward His will. He’s also allowing me to see the blessings that will result from my obedience when I am faithful in “straining toward what is ahead” (Phil 3:13)



If you're curious, or would like to pray for me, here is brief list of the places where I've seen plain as day, and heard clear as a bell, my need to be open to His correcting:
  • Controlling my emotions instead of the other way around, leading to becoming a stronger communicator. I have good points, but they are seldom heard because the passion of my delivery tends to overshadow the importance of my message.
  • Using my computer time less frivolously. I’ve already felt a strong pull here and have already begun to heed.
  • Treasuring the moments that bring me joy. Be more like Mary, the mother of Jesus, who “treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart.” (Luk 2:19) Take better stock of my blessings…store up some heart treasures…take time to ponder the good.
  • Taking my Sunday school class more seriously. God orchestrated my presence and my place in children’s Sunday school, and He could be doing marvelous and amazing things if His servant (that would be me) spent more time immersed in preparation. That doesn’t mean the lesson – I’m prepared in that regard - but in the “behind-the-scenes areas,” a.k.a. other than Sunday morning areas.
I may end up explaining each of these to you - how they were impressed upon me and why- but I would need a page for each one. Or I may learn something new I want to share tomorrow. I simply I pray that I will continue to have the eyes of my heart open to His will.


I have a good feeling about what is to come.