Thursday, December 2

Can you hear Him now?

I came of age in the dark ages of communication. The first personal computers made their appearance when I was in high school, pagers were a Godsend in my twenties, and shortly after I married Brad, the portable cellular phone was birthed.

Brad worked for a paging company back in the 90’s, and because he needed to be reachable 24/7, his employer issued him one of those newfangled portable phones. It measured about 10” x 3” x 2”, weighed more than my new puppy, and rode on the floorboard of our car.

When we got our first “modern”, 21st cell phones, their purpose was “for emergencies”. We stored them in our glove compartments and tried to remember to check the batteries’ charge every couple weeks.

Gradually, our definition of “emergency” morphed from “I have a flat tire," or “I’m broken down on the shoulder”, into “I’m running late,” and “We’re out of milk.”

Now, me forgetting my cellphone is cause to turn around and go back home. I feel lost without it. I haven't reached the extreme of the smart-phone junkie, but the thought of not being able to reach someone IMMEDIATELY brings on a panic attack.



In the same way (and, coincidentally, over the same period of time) my prayers to God have grown from an “in case of emergency” tool, to my daily, constant companion. If ever I realize I’ve neglected to pray, I do an immediate U-turn to retrieve my Lifeline.

Constantly accessible communication with your creator is available to you 24/7. And He wants you to pick up the phone.

Please don’t stash your prayers in hidey-hole, only to be retrieved for emergencies. Instead, form a habit of keeping them in your pocket, always at hand and constantly accessed. Conversations with God are free – no monthly free: unlimited talk and text!

Go ahead, pick up the phone.  God is waiting for your call.

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. 
Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done." 
Philippians 4:6

Catrina Bradley 
"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (Msg)