Friday, March 26

Friday Fiction: Genesis: Morning Has Broken Me

Welcome to Friday Fiction! Today, I'm sharing my most recent FaithWriters.com entry, a fiction genre I like to call "Happy Sappy". If you wanna feel good story, read on.



Genesis:
Morning Has Broken Me

"Mommy, come look!" Bounce. "You gotta come see." Bounce bounce. "Come on Mommy, Get up," bounce, "get up," bounce, "get up!"

Grrr. Seriously, God? My grand plan to sleep in on my Saturday off had been thwarted. It appeared my exuberant five-year old was causing a small earthquake in the region of MaBedville.

I pulled the covers over my head and growled for real. "What little Bear is bouncing on Mamma Bear's bed?" My attempt at a roar was cut off when Beatrice squealed and plopped her entire 24 pounds on top of me.

"MomMY! Come ON!" She yanked at the covers, eliciting a wrestling match that, of course, I let my Beatle-Bear win. How could I not? Losing meant I got to look upon those big brown eyes swimming inside that swarming halo of golden tresses?

"Why?" I whined, "I don't wanna get up. Come on, snuggle with me, Beatle-Bear." I tried to pull her into a spoon, but she wouldn't have it.

"No, Mommy, you gotta come see. I found you a wow."

She hopped off the bed and tugged on my hand until I tumbled after her with a flop and let her drag me to her room. She pranced to the window and pointed. "See? See the wow?"

I stood beside her and gazed out at the morning. The sun had just peeped over the trees, painting a pastel backdrop on the sky, and dew sparkled like a web of diamonds spun over creation. God had, indeed, painted a wow.

I ran my hand over her tousled hair. "Thank you for showing me the sunrise, Beatrice. That's a pretty good wow." I bent down and kissed the top of her head, stifling a yawn.

"NO, Mommy, over there. See?" She was jumping up and down and pointing past me to the right.

I sidled over to stand behind her so I could see what her pudgy little finger was pointing at.

"See the wow?"

"Oh, wow! Yeah, Bea-Bea, I do, now."

I pulled her warm little body into my arms and was hypnotized by the sight. A dancing prism of colors spanned the dew-bejeweled trees at the side of the yard, creating a glittery rainbow across the windbreak.

My little Beatle-Bear spun around to face me. "You always show me the wows, Mommy. I wanna show you this time, kay?"

She grabbed my hand again and twisted around to point out the window again. "Now, look, Mommy. See it? Wow! It's the raimbove God's promise." She turned and looked up. "Now, I'm gonna pray just like you do, 'kay? Bow your head, Mommy." She took my other hand and watched to make sure I followed her command.

Tears dripped onto the front of my rumpled sleepshirt as my little one led me in prayer for the first time.

"Dear God,Thank you for wows. Thank you for painting raimboves and for promises and for loving us. Thank you for Mommy. Please tell Daddy I love him. And thank you for Jesus.Amen."

Wow, God. I snuffled in and swallowed. That's my girl. That's Your girl. Thank you.

I squeezed her hands.

"Dear God, Thank you painting sunrises and rainbows for us, because sometimes we need a "wow" to remind us how very much you love us. Thank you for Beatrice, God, my precious little Beatle-Bear. Please take care of Daddy. And thank you for Jesus and for our home with You in Heaven, the forever treasure at the end of your rainbow. Amen."

***

"Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." Genesis 9:16 (NIV)


© 2010


We'd love you to join us for Friday Fiction!
Our host today is
Rick Higginson at Pod Tales and Ponderings.
Swim on over and add your own link, or just read some fiction by the best Christian writers I know
.


Catrina Bradley

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes."
Psalm 18:24 (Msg)