Sunday, August 16

In and Out: My FaithWriters Conference Experenience

If I told you I had an experience that was totally out of this world, would you take me literally?

Well, it’s the truth.

Last weekend I attended the FaithWriters 2nd Annual Conference, and I got a taste of Heaven right in this broken, fallen world. The seminars were great, the speakers awesome, and the lessons valuable for any writer (Christian or not), but none of these are what will stay with me forever.

I’ve never been very good at being “in the world, but not of the world”. Last weekend, I didn’t have to worry about that. I was no longer “in the world”. I was immersed in the acceptance and love of Jesus Christ. I didn’t have to mind my p’s and q’s or fret over my “witness” to the unbelieving world. The world seemed to melt away as Heaven stretched out its arms and took me in.

When I did venture out, I still didn’t worry. Where two or more believers are gathered, you can be sure Jesus is there with them. And He was. Jesus went with us to restaurants, to Starbucks, and even just to the parking lot of the hotel.

You know that bushel basket that we are warned not to hide our light under? It disappeared. My light – Jesus – was shining bright.

I found out for the first time how easy it was to heed the advice of the author of Hebrews… when I’m in the midst of true Christ-followers …

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Hebrews 12:1


I KNOW that the Holy Spirit empowers me to “throw off everything that hinders”, even now, after I’ve been dumped headfirst back into the world. My prayer is that I will ALLOW Him to have power, that my fear of witnessing to the world and my worries of “what will they think?” will take a backseat.

Because you see, Jesus said, “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33


So what am I afraid of?

Cat


The Conference Crew

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes."
Psalm 18:24 (Msg)